Making Schools and Communities Welcoming to LGBT Youth:By Annemarie Vaccaro, Gerri August, and Megan S. Kennedy

Extended Comments


                                                  Image result for LGBT in schools in rhode island

While reading this article I didn't really have it much to connect to in my personal life. The topic of LGBT was never really brought up until I got to high school and there was a whole club for people who wanted to share that connection with others. But growing up a had a best friend and she dressed like a boy, but always had this really long beautiful red hair. I never thought anything of it, until I s gradually switched to wearing boys clothes too. She was definitely on to something, they were so much more comfortable than wearing girl jeans, and girl shirts. I eventually out grew the phase of comfortable clothes, but she didn't. She eventually came out as gay, and now has a wife. I couldn't be happier for her. But the point is it wasn't until late middle to early high school did I even realize that there were people out there who may not be heterosexual. 

It wasn't until after reading Bianca's blog did it make me realize that classrooms have changed a lot since even I was in high school eight years ago. Reading about her experience with her Service Learning and the student who is transgender make me think that when I was in school I don't know if teachers would accommodate a different name because you didn't feel a gender connection to it. I also agree with her that students need to be educated in the fact that there are people who are born different from the mainstream of being heterosexual and identifying with the gender they were born. I agree that bullying shouldn't exist on this topic, not that bullying should exist at all, but because of the fact children just don't know about it. 

Comments

  1. I like your responses to this article. I agree with you on how much high school has changed even since you have been in. It makes me think back to my years in high school and no one would even talk about someone who was gay. So times are a lot different and hopefully continuing to include acceptance of all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I relate in the way that my school system did not introduce me to the LBGTQ community until I was in middle school, and even then the movement was known more by word to mouth than as apart of the curriculum. In high school on the other hand, our LBGTQ group was celebrated and and well known so that the majority of those students were accepted as they were.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"In The Service of What?" By: Kahne and Westheimer Reflection

Gender and the 2016 Election

Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us by Linda Christensen Reflection