"Amazing Grace" - Jonathan Kozol Hyperlinks

While reading "Amazing Grace" I couldn't believe what I was reading. There were so many new things that my brain was trying to comprehend. Things like there is a incinerator walking distances from peoples' houses. I understand things such as "amputated limbs and fetal tissue, bedding, bandages, and syringes" (Kozal) need to be disposed of, but in a neighborhood? That was an insane thought for me to comprehend. Another thing I didn't understand was why "3,000 homeless families" were relocated to one are. I found this picture on a website called doctorhousingbubble, which was actually comparing Los Angeles, CA density of living to New York, but as you can see that in the Bronx the population estimate is 1,438,159 people per 42 square miles. This doesn't give anyone any room.
population density new york

The last thing that really bothered me while reading was the conditions of the three hospitals Alice Washington talked about.  Once I read about the fact that nurses were working two shifts in a row and having as many as twenty- two patience, I had to look further into this.

The first hospital I looked up was Lincoln Hospital. What I found out was that it was originally built in 1839, and was a hospital for only black people of that area. Then in April of 1899 it became open to all of the public even though it still mainly helped black people. It received its name after Abraham Lincoln. The hospital moved in 1976 to a bigger area taking up five blocks. People from North Manhattan to South Bronx all come to this hospital, and they continue to do renovations such as in 2014 when they spent $24 million updating the Emergency Room. What I found to be interesting was that there are only 347 beds available in the hospital.

The second hospital I looked up was the Bronx-Lebanon Hospital, which got its name in 1962 when the two hospitals merged together. The two hospitals merged together because they were sharing their resources and their staff. They felt to help the growing population of the Bronx it would be best to merge the two hospitals together, and work to help the community. They have 972 beds, and are a teaching hospital.

The third hospital I researched was what the "minister of Harlem's leading church referred to as a "cesspool" (Kozol). This hospital is Harlem Hospital, which was founded in 1887. In 1923 Harlem Hospital became the only hospital that would train black nurses because city hospitals refused to train them. This hospital contains 286 beds

After looking through the official websites of each hospital and looking on wikipedia and a few other sites, not many of them mention the harsh patient or nurse conditions that Alice Washington was so afraid of. I wish this meant to me that this is just a story and such events as having to set up your own room didn't occur, but instead it shows a big red flag that the conditions were so horrendous that people wouldn't want them documented. On each of the hospitals I linked their "pretty" up to date websites that show what each hospital is capable of teaching, what kinds of procedures they do, and even how to apply for a job at each hospital. These websites give a very different and more positive view than what we read in Jonathan Kozol's "Amazing Grace".

Comments

  1. Kelsey this information was great, and I defiantly agree with the fact that some of the information we read was disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome information that you provided. It is scary to think that these hospitals may not be that great but you would never know until you were there for a medical issue because the website makes them look like a good facility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelsey, I couldn't believe what I was reading either. You used some great links and provided some great info! How sad that it is still this way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was amazing Kelsey. I personally love stats and that table you posted was awesome. Also so many links to other info to help make your point. Phenomenal job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Kelsey. I felt the same way when reading this article. I couldn't believe that this exists in America. I really liked the table you posted, very interesting info!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt that way ^ !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"In The Service of What?" By: Kahne and Westheimer Reflection

Gender and the 2016 Election

"This American Life", Hebert, and Brown vs. Board of Education